Jefferson Archives - 1945
* * * * * * * * * *
Jefferson, Georgia ~ 1944 - 45 --- The war years
Jefferson High School
During the week of March 23, 1945 it was announced by the Federal Works Agency that a grant of $ 142,650 had been made to the Jefferson Board of Education for construction of a new elementary and high school in Jefferson. This new structure would cost $ 218,570. It would accommodate 800 students, have 20 classrooms, a health clinic, research lab, cafeteria and public address system. Bids were to be secured immediately.
The new school would be built about a mile from the former Martin Institute grounds on a parcel of land donated by Colonel John C. Turner and his daughter, Mrs. Marshall Melvin.
Morris M. Bryan, President of Jefferson Mills and the Jefferson Board of Education committed a donation of $ 25,000 to the cause from the mill. The remaining money ( approximately $ 50,000 ) would come from Jackson County and the City of Jefferson. There was to be no bond referendum or further indebtedness attached to the project.
Continue to: Jefferson Archives