Musing with Cecil Buffington
Mothers Day: Something Special!
With Mothers day fast approaching I noticed a posting on Facebook that came very close to revisiting my thoughts on the influence a mother has on their child. I feel it appropriate to repost this as a tribute to all mothers on their very special day.
Several years ago I wrote an editorial for the Dothan Tribune when working for Perdue in Dothan. It was a tribute to my mother that was to my understanding read by several ministers in their church in Dothan on Mothers Day. It consisted of "Momalies" or different ( sometimes humorous ) things my mother had said to me as I grew up in Jefferson. I have chosen not to revisit that particular writing, but several of these Facebook mentions were among those I listed in my Dothan article. My mother did indeed use some of these expressions on certain occasions. I was always quick to get the point when she did. The Facebook listings are somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but do relate to lessons learned during those wonderful childhood days when my mother ruled the roost. I hope you enjoy them.
1. My Mother taught me To APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
'If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.'
2. My Mother taught me RELIGION.
'You better pray that will come come out of the carpet.'
3. My Mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
'If you don't straighten up, I am going to knock you into the middle of next week.'
4. My Mother taught me LOGIC.
'Because I said so, that's why.'
5. My Mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
'If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you are not going to the store with me.'
6. My Mother taught me FORESIGHT.
'Make sure you have on clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.'
7. My Mother taught me IRONY.
'Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about.'
8. My Mother taught me me about the science of OSMOSIS.
'Shut your mouth and eat your supper,'
9. My Mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
'Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck!
10. My Mother taught me about STAMINA.
'You'll sit there until all of that spinach is gone.'
11. My Mother taught me about WEATHER.
'This rooms looks like a tornado went through it.'
12. My Mother taught me about HYPOCRISY
'If I told you once, I have told you a million times. Don't exaggerate.'
13. My Mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
'I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.'
14. My Mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
'Stop acting like your Father!'
15. My Mother taught me about ENVY.
'There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do.'
16. My Mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
'Just wait until we get home.'
17. My Mother taught me about RECEIVING.
'You are going to get it when we get home!'
18. My Mother taught me about MEDICAL SCIENCE.
'If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way.'
19. My Mother taught me about ESP.
'Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?'
20. My Mother taught me HUMOR.
'When that lawn mower cuts your foot off, don't come running to me,"
21. My Mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
'If you don't eat all your vegetables, you'll never grow up.'
22. My Mother taught me GENETICS.
'You're acting just like your Father.
23. My Mother taught me about my ROOTS.
'Shut the door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?'
24. My Mother taught me WISDOM.
'When you get to be my age, you'll understand.'
25. And my favorite: My Mother taught me JUSTICE.
'One day you'll have kids , and I hope they turn out just like you.'
My mother passed away in 1976. Those of you who are still fortunate enough to still have your mother , this very special day should be even more of a reminder of how important a mother's communication, even in jest can inluence the life of a child. Give your mother a call, visit them and give them a big hug, tell them you love them. I wish with all my heart I still had that opportunity.